30 January 2011

Home.

I am currently absorbed in a book from our local library called Home by Julie Myerson. It's a biography about the history of a house, the people who lived in it and the different relationships people form with their personal space. Ever since I started reading it I have been thinking about my home and its history. So on my return home this weekend I began to question my dad! My parents have kept in touch with the son of the man who owned our house previous to us and he already had details regarding the previous owners from 1916 when it was built, up to 1982, when my parents bought it. By chance, as I was inspecting the details of the documents my dad had presented to me our phone began to ring and who should it be but Edward, who lived in the house for 34 years before us! So today we got the chance to meet Edward, who visited our home, that used to be his home. We showed him around and he recalled the happy times he spent in the house with his sister and mum and dad. He also brought these photos to show us. It is funny how you don't really think about how you are just a small part of a house's history. I have lived in this house my whole life and consider it to be ours, but it belonged to someone else long before I was ever around, it has a whole secret history I am waiting to discover!

1 comment: